By Dr. Terry Weyman
Some patients call me the “Cell Phone Ogre”. With the “no cell phone” signs in the office, I have set a policy that all cell phones are to be turned off when coming to CSI. Well, studies are showing that there are more reasons to turn off your phone other than, “We don’t want to hear other people’s conversations”. Cell phones are becoming a staple in the 21st century. Approximately 60,000 to 70,000 cell phones are sold each day in the United States. Over 110+ million Americans use cell phones. And worldwide, it is estimated that approximately 1 billion people use cell phones. As the number of cell phones, cell phone towers, and other wireless antennas increase rapidly in industrialized nations, should you be concerned about the effects that regular exposure to radio frequency radiation can have on your health?
If you are a parent, an athlete or one who is fighting illnesses or stress, the answer is yes, you SHOULD be concerned about the effect that wireless devices and broadcasting antennas can have on your health. We research our schools, we research before we make large purchases, but when it comes to our health or making healthy decisions we sometimes “go with the flow”. As a society we are, at times, more concerned about how we may appear to others than making the right decision that will effect our well being. There are a few websites that every parent, athlete, student and businessperson should visit. The information MAY save your health, give you some valuable tips, and or teach you how you can get more “power from your body”. The information is out there, to ignore it is well, ignorance at its best. To think this does not pertain to you, well that is just plain, shall I say it, yep, stupid. The excuse to give your child a cell phone so you can stay in touch is truly, more a control issue than a valuable argument. Please, take the time to read these studies. There are many more where these came from. After reading through them, ask the hard questions, what if they are right?
Council on Wireless Technology impacts http://energyfields.org.
Cell phone dangers http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/newcelldangers.htm
Two year study on cell phone dangers: http://www.rense.com/general26/2yrs.htm
Many Nations banning cell phones for kids http://drbenkim.com/cell-phone-warnings.htm
Europe reports on cell phone dangers http://www.rense.com/general60/tetra.htm
Mobile radiation and health http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_radiation_and_health
Some of the highlights of all the studies point in the same direction, possible danger! Cell phones and wireless phones emit microwave radiation that can effect all the cells in our bodies. Think of putting a glass of water in a microwave oven and turn it on. What does the water do? It boils. Below are key points brought up in many of the studies
1. Regular exposure to radio frequency radiation may interfere with the electrical fields of our cells. Cell and wireless phones are bad, blue tooth ear pieces are the worst! Common health challenges that have been linked to regular exposure to radio frequency radiation include:
o Abnormal cell growth and damage to cellular DNA
o Difficulty sleeping, depression, anxiety, and irritability
o Childhood and adult leukemia
o Eye cancer
o Immune system suppression
o Brain and jaw cancer
o TMJ disorder
o Calcium uptake issues
o Hearing and ear problems
o Attention span deficit and memory loss
2. Children are at much higher risk than adults of experiencing health problems related to regular exposure to radio frequency radiation; thinner and smaller skulls translate to greater absorption of radio frequency. Many countries are looking to ban cell phones usage for children under 12. Russia is looking at banning under the age of 18.
3. From the early 1950’s to the mid 1970’s, the U.S. embassy in Moscow was purposefully bombarded by radio frequency radiation 24 hours a day. The U.S. embassy workers experienced what the perpetrators identified as “Radio Frequency Sickness Syndrome.”
After some time of concentrated radio frequency radiation exposure, the American ambassador developed leukemia. The next American ambassador also developed leukemia. Blood tests performed on embassy staff members showed irreversible DNA damage.
4. Dr. Jerry Phillips, a biochemist researcher, began studying cell phone safety for Motorola more than a decade ago. When he started generating data that indicated that cell phones have negative effects on human health, Motorola took a number of steps to delay publication of Dr. Phillips’ work.
According to Dr. Phillips, Motorola’s main concerns with his data were how to handle public relations and how to spin the results in a way that was favorable to the industry.
Dr. Phillips also indicates that the only significant money that is available to do research on cell phone safety issues is industry money. This is why he has no faith in studies that are coming out.
5. You can use a radio and microwave detector to measure the amount of harmful radiation that your living and work spaces are penetrated by. The detector used in the documentary is called the “Microalert Radio/Microwave Alarm.”
Recommendations for Cell safety: (according to wikipedia)
Some national radiation advisory authorities, including those of Austria, France, Germany, and Sweden have recommended measures to minimize exposure to their citizens. Examples of the recommendations are:
• Use hands-free to decrease the radiation to the head.
• Keep the mobile phone away from the body.
• Do not use telephone in a car without an external antenna.
The use of “hands-free” was not recommended by the British Consumers’ Association in a statement in November 2000, as they believed that exposure was increased. However, measurements for the (then) UK Department of Trade and Industry and others for the French l’Agence française de sécurité sanitaire environnementale showed substantial reductions. In 2005 Professor Lawrie Challis and others said clipping a ferrite bead onto hands-free kits stops the radio waves travelling up the wire and into the head.
It’s said we only use a small portion of our brains ultimate potential. As a society we keep advancing the technology but are these advancements always for the better? Sometimes yes, but sometimes we exchange one evil for another. My goal is always looking at ways to achieve better health, higher athletic performance and mortal wellbeing. The topic of cell phone safety is not a new one and you can find position papers on both sides of the safety issue, but what does your gut, intuition and logic tell you? The answer to THAT may be your best defense of all!