By: Dr. Terry Weyman
We have all heard “you are what you eat”. Well, in some cases, this is true. With the ever changing food industry, rushed and stressful lifestyles and our lack of “farm to table” availability, we are consuming products that were never meant to be eaten. When we add a few of these “toxic” foods, it can dramatically affect our system, draining our body of resources and energy!
Lets go through these foods and at the end I will give you some tips on how you can turn the table and get your “Mojo Back”.
Foods to avoid “Toxic foods”:
1) SOY– (tofu, soy, veggie burgers). Soy, is one of the biggest GMO foods now, it can dramatically affect your adrenal glands and Thyroid. According to the medical research, the consumption of Soy has been linked to a decrease in cognitive function (memory and recall changes) cancer, hypothyroidism and loss of energy.
2) Wheat Grass– Just because its green and served at Jamba Juice doesn’t mean its good for you. Our bodies were never meant to eat grass as we don’t have a 4 chambered stomach. If you think about it, Dogs will only eat grass when they are sick to induce vomiting. Wheat grass can contain plant toxins that can dramatically react to your system affecting your RBCs and intestinal lining leading to conditions such as leaky gut and intestinal absorption.
3) Goji Berries– These Berries are part of the Nightshade family. Night Shades have dangerous Lectins (which can weaken the blood vessels) and can affect the stomach as well leading to Leaky gut, fatigue, muscle weakness and joint pain.
Now that you see some of the foods that WEAKEN the body, lets look at a few that can strengthen it from the inside out.
1) Increase your Polypenols! What are those you ask? They are found in red foods, dark berries, beats and pomegranates. Make a daily drink of all the dark berries you can find (Trader Joes has a good blend in their frozen food section. You can also add a “Red” Powder (found in our office, trader Joes and other health food stores). This Red Powder is a high concentration of dark berries that have been freeze dried and condensed to increase their potency.
2) Change out Coffee (unless you drink it black, as the creamer can negate the good of coffee). For that morning “Jolt” switch to Green Tea. Green Tea is LOADED with anti-oxidants and other “De-Toxing” agents.
3) Decrease you use of grains. Get your Carbs from Dark Berries, veggies and plants containing polyphenols.
By Making these simple changes, your body can heal. Make a daily shake, change your coffee to green tea and start to feel the energy grown from within!
Dr. Terry Weyman is the clinic Director of CSI.